Thursday, July 13, 2017

Summer Reading

Happy Summer 
(to those of you in the middle of summer....happy winter to the rest of you)

I've come across some new book titles that I wanted to pop in and share with you. It's safe to say I'm an avid reader and I love finding books that take me to different places around the world. Some of these I've read, and some are still waiting to be read. Not all are in countries where Compassion works, but I still love learning about other cultures. 


For the younger ones...All Aboard for the Bobo Road by Stephen Davies 
 This is a sweet story that takes place in Burkina Faso. Back when I was doing my country expert posts, I couldn't find any books about or set in this small, west African country. I was pleased to find this.


For middle grade readers....The Red Pencil by Andrea Davis Pinkney
 This one is on my list for our homeschool read-aloud curriculum this coming year. Set in South Darfur (Africa), this story is told through poetic verse.



For teen readers....I Will Always Write Back by Caitlin Alifirenka and Martin Ganda
 This is the true story of an American girl and a boy from Zimbabwe who became friend through letters.




For adults....The Amazing Story of the Man Who Cycled From India to Europe for Love by Per J Andersson
"The remarkable true story of how love and courage led young PK to overcome extreme poverty, caste prejudice and adveristy - as will as a 7000 mile, adventure filled journey across continents and cultures to be with the woman he loved."



Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight - An African Childhood by Alexandra Fuller
A memoir of the author's childhood in Africa. 



And a couple more I have already read....


Hope Runs by Claire Diaz-Ortiz and Samuel Ikua Gachagua
set in Kenya - a memoir of how the author fell in love with the country and people of Kenya



 The Boy Who Runs by Julius Achon and John Brant
set in Uganda - the inspirational true story of a boy soldier who became a world-renowned runner



I'd LOVE to know what suggestions you have for me to add to my list. And I'd love to know if you've read any of these and what you thought. Happy reading!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...